Conduct semester exams in July, begin opening colleges in August: UGC to universities | latest update
UGC recommendations and guidelines issued today
1. Intermediate Semester Students: Will be graded based on internal assessment of the present and previous semester. However, exams will be conducted in states where the Covid-19 situation has been normalised in the month of July.
2. Terminal Semester Students: Exams will be held in the month of July.
3. A Covid-19 cell will be constituted in every university which will be empowered to solve the issues of students related to academic calendar and examinations.
4. A Covid-19 cell in the UGC to be created for faster decision making.
5. If the situation demands, the universities can have summer vacations for 30 days from June 01 to June 30.
6. The Academic Session 2020-21 may commence from August 01, 2020, for old students and from September 01, 2020, for fresh students.
UGC Guidelines: All about university exams
Universities may adopt alternative and simplified modes and methods of examinations to complete the process in a shorter period of time.
Universities may adopt efficient and innovative modes of examinations by reducing the time from 3 hours to 2 hours.
In case the situation does not appear to be normal in view of Covid-19, in order to maintain “social distancing”, safety and health of the students, grading of the students could be composite of 50% marks on the basis of the pattern of internal evaluation adopted by the universities and the remaining 50% marks can be awarded on the basis of performance in previous semester only (if available). The internal evaluation can be continuous evaluation, prelims, mid-semester, internal evaluation or whatever name is given for student progression.
In the situations where previous semester or previous year marks are not available, particularly in the first year of an annual pattern of examinations, 100% evaluation may be done on the basis of internal assessments.
If the student wishes to improve the grades, he/she may appear in special exams for such subjects during next semester.
Period of lockdown may be treated as ‘deemed to be attended’ by all the students/ research scholars.
The universities may conduct the practical examinations and Viva-Voce Examinations through Skype or other meeting apps, and in case of intermediate semesters, the practical examinations may be conducted during the ensuing semesters.
The universities may conduct the PhD and M. Phil. Viva -Voce Examinations through Video Conferencing using Google, Skype, Microsoft Technologies or any other reliable and mutually convenient technology.